Tuesday, December 15, 2009

C Minus 10!

With 10 days to go we are pretty much ready for Christmas.  Cara and I have essentially finished buying gifts and wrapping them.  The trim is trimmed, and the wreaths are hung.  Snow is finally on the ground, matching the -30 weather we've been experiencing.  It is really beginning to look and feel like Christmas, and thusly we have been baking (Cookie Monster Cookies presently) and watching classic TV specials with the girls, such as Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Muppet Family Christmas, et al.  It has become apparent to me that things like this are so much better when watched with your children.

Sadly though we had our first Christmas cry this weekend when we first put gifts under the tree (I have been told this is torturous and cruel to do so early, but to those Scrooges I say Bah, humbug!).  Teresa woke up and excitedly said "PRESENTS!" and then I explained them to her and how we had to wait but could look at them and shake them.  Initially she decided that all small gifts were Frances, somewhat bigger hers and the large ones mine.  Once Cara got up, I heard an excited scream to wit Teresa was saying "I can play with these downstairs".  Teresa had opened up a set of play cutlery that she knew was hers, and Cara dealt with the tears.  All is well now and the gifts have been untouched under the tree...

Beyond that things are winding down at school, and my wonderful family came by for 10 minutes before today as we needed to trade up the van.  We had a great visit (I never get tired of people telling me how wonderful & cute the kids are) and I drove them home and had to turn and burn.  In a moment that I suppose can be used as evidence of my lack of so-called 'true' manhood in the future, Teresa puddlified my heart.  I said to her, "I love you Teresa, but daddy has to go back to work now." Teresa then threw herself at me half-crying, "But daddy I love you, I need you here."  Man she's been practicing well...

As always here are some pictures from recent days, and I just realized one last noteworthy point...  Frances may have given up on her morning nap.  Today she chose not to and was a trooper until a long afternoon nap.:


Not that Frances is quite petite, but look at the ginormity of the snowsuit we bought for her.  It was a 6-12 month and 17 - 22 pound outfit.  She is presently just under 10 months and 16 1/2 pounds.  She is presently wearing the blue snowsuit from Teresa's youth (3-6 month) and it is pretty good.


I bought Teresa some bubble bath and this was her first bath.  I can't recall what these were, but they were something.  She lvoes bubble bath but she had a bad reaction last time likely due to a long bath and dry skin.


Trimming the tree.  Note all the non-breakable decorations.  As an aside I bought the LEDs that look like old lights this year and am pleased by them.


The angel.  Teresa insisted it not go on the top.  I won.


A normal day of mayhem & mess in the girls' room.  Frances now will crawl in there on her own and play with Teresa (or wake her in the morning to a loud, loving "PANNY!" from her sister.


Matching PJ's (What Santa doesn't bring me grandpa & grandma will).


Yup that is out gingerbread house.  100% daddy and Teresa made goodness.


Cara acquired a box recently and it is Teresa's boat.  They have spent time painting it.  As you can clearly see this is a cargo boat.


I put Frances in there to play with Teresa and it was a hit with both of them.


I included this so Aunt Carolyn can see Teresa's paddling stroke.  It needs some work, I hope you can help her improve on it soon.


Well, all I know is Teresa likes hiding in the box too, so there she is buried at the bottom...

4 comments:

Sarah said...

You know what I love? The picture pf bedroom mayhem. They're having a great time, and are far too young to be very good about keeping things tidy - and life is far too short to worry about it.

And the gingerbread house pic? Teresa may be acquiring the "Friesen stare", but she's also getting good at the "Yost-girl smirk" which Pearl perfected :-)

Pearl said...

Unbreakable ornaments are de rigueur this year. Wait until you see our tree in Ottawa... Who knew we still had so many?!?

Love the box/boat/whatever. Frances looks to be having a great time. Does she love laundry baskets just as much, or does it have to be cardboard?

Cara said...

Don't fret Pearl, Frances also enjoys a nice laundry basket. She likes pushing them around like a walker.

Cara said...

And if everyone is good, I may post a video of them in a shopping bin / sled flying through the air with 'reindeer' :)