Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Susie Homemaker

When I meet people for the first time and they ask what I do, I say "I stay at home", which isn't really an answer to their question, since it's like me asking a lawyer what they do, and they then proceed to give me their office address. What I do isn't complicated, but when I say stay at home the majority of people will reply "You're lucky, it must be nice to have all that free time." My reply to this is to smile and nod and hope I am thinking BITE ME loud enough for them to hear me. You see, my time may not be spent pretending to like co-workers and caring about my boss' cats/cars/children, but I am busy. I just happen to be busy doing things I like for no money, like pretending to hunt for treasure, wondering how Frances managed to undress herself and, my new passion, becoming a 1950's stereotype.

Since staying at home I have begun to think more about what we put into our bodies, and, more specifically, what is in the food we eat. I found myself growing more concerned with a seemingly endless list of ingredients I cannot pronounce, so, I started cooking most things from scratch. I made my own baby food, cakes, cookies, pasta sauce, etc. If it comes in a package, I am reticent to purchase it, so, most dinners are entirely homemade. Recently I have started to make all our bread (except hamburger and hot dog buns, I stink at those) and I find I am loving it. There is something so satisfying about having fresh bread, kneading it, watching it rise, smelling it bake. Every second or third day our house smells like a bakery and I love it! Plus I know exactly what went into it, and a fresh loaf disappears so quickly I don't need to worry about preservatives.

But, I must confess, it isn't only the health aspect that keeps me baking, it's a lifestyle choice for me. I love mixing and kneading the dough, seeing it rise, letting the smell of fresh bread permeate the house as it cools, and watching my family enjoy the fruits of my labour. Baking is relaxing, and Teresa loves it so we get some time together while we cook. I am also entering the final frontier and taking a canning and preserving course so I can make pickles, jams, you name it. For me, I love enjoying the food I make, knowing what is in it and seeing my family enjoy it as well. Next step, buy a nice house dress and greet Ken at the door in heels with a martini, then sit back and have a drink while he takes the girls to the park.

Greg showing off a raisin walnut loaf I made for breakfast

Chocolate bread for dessert...

3 comments:

Ms. Caddywumpus said...

Is it wrong to want to be a liberated 1950's housewife whose opinion and intelligence is both respected and valued? I don't think so.

I started making all our own bread too (but ditto on the buns, too hard!). I can't get over how much sugar, salt and unpronounceable things are in bought bread. Gross.

Of course, when people think of the quaint, "easy" role of being a stay at home mum, they've obviously never had to keep an 18 month old entertained for an entire morning and still manage to perform the most basic of daily tasks.

I'll say it again, people are idiots.

Meghan said...

I reciprocate your feeling Cara - being a 'homemaker' is such a valuable asset for a family. Great job on the breadmaking, I have been lazy lately but will get back into the swing of things!

Sarah said...

do you like the kneading? Because I'm pretty sure howtoeatacupcake had a recipe for a multi-day initial setup, then ongoing bread ready in 5 minutes of hands-on time per day.

Of course, the only bread I've made in a year is "self-rising flour + bottle of beer" I haven't even put my bread machine through its paces