Sunday, May 03, 2009

Narcisse Snake Pits

Well Teresa, Ray & I went to the Narcisse snake pits today where by early May red-sided garter snakes have been emerging from their winter brumination for weeks numbering about 75,000.  Teresa seems to like snakes so I figured this would be a good idea.  Unfortunately due to Al Gore's excellent work in reversing global warming, the limestone dens are still quite cold and this was the first weekend of their emergence this year (in fact one den was still quiet).  The Conservation Officer at the site said we are two and a half weeks behind schedule and that if we have a solid week of warmth, but more likely in two weekends, the numbers at the pits would increase tenfold.  For us there were a bunch of snakes, but no mating balls in the trees nor were they so plentiful that they were easy to catch.

The day began with dressing Teresa & Frances in their little sister - big sister outfits and taking pictures.
Can we spell 'New Desktop'? 


"Daddy, I want to see these!"


We brought Rowdy with the nose harness and he was great.  Teresa loves walking / being walked by him.


The star of the show.  I got ahold of one, and Teresa was unwilling to touch it.  It crawled all over me, but was unwilling to give itself up for a picture.  When I gave it to a ~8 y/o girl to hold, she squished harder and dropped it when I told her to not be so hard.  Teresa then turned tail and screamed.  She told everyone later "I am getting out of the way, I am getting out of the way!"


This was the most active pit, but most were still in the caves underneath, and not slithering about.  They get in the tall grass and they perfectly hidden.  Anyhow, Teresa also accidentally stepped on one that seemed OK after.  The Conservation Officer made an interesting point - that for a change of pace human interest helps the wildlife it seeks to see.  Our presence keeps away the crows that love the taste of their internal organs, so the sacrifice of a couple to kids like Teresa is minimal compared to the avian slaughter that could await.


Manitoba's official flower (Ray saw it I must admit), the wild crocus.  It is bigger & fuzzier than I expected.


"Daddy, see a snake!"
"Yes Teresa, it's a nice snake."
"Look daddy, see another snake!"
"Yes Teresa."
"Daddy, another snake!"...
Continue for 5+ minutes and you know how most of our conversations went.


Post-trip.  Teresa hadn't napped on the way up (about 50 minutes North of Stonewall), and she ran for the first half to 2/3 of the 3+ km trail, and I carried her the rest of the way on my shoulders.  I need to work on my neck, as it was sore.  Or course that also could be caused by her constant twitching up there.  Anyhow, Frances wouldn't calm down for Cara and we ended up having a nice little snooze together after I calmed her.  In appalling news though this angle makes my face look longer than Jay Leno's.


A nice picture taken whilst I was napping.


We had a great time.  I leave you with two things - a short video I took on my camera (it is old enough that it does not have sound) and another interesting fact - snakes do not hibernate, they bruminate.  The difference is in hibernation the animal's body maintains the heat, but since snakes are cold blooded they actually must get below the frost line as their bodies take on the ambient temperature.


4 comments:

Pearl said...

Teresa? Cute!
Frances? Cute!
Cara? Cute! (see?!? I noticed!)

Snakes? Eeewwwwwwww...

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Pearl's comment.

P.S. Will NOT BE SLEEPING tonight. thanks!

J.

Sarah said...

but they're so cute and slithery... I'm sure once she got used to them, Teresa'd like one as a pet.

What can I say? I'm only freaked by snakes when I'm somewhere where they could be poisonous.

Anonymous said...

At Teresa's age, Daisen had an extreme fear of snakes. I don't know where he got it, I think snakes are cool. I'm glad to hear Teresa will tolerate them. When she's older, I'll teach her how to scare her friends with them. :-)

Alison