Wednesday, May 27, 2009

More Beach Stuff...

Well, I finally have an opportunity to stick my nose into the blog again so I figured why not...

Cara posted some pictures from our beach extravaganza last weekend, but I figured I would add a bit more about the weekend.  We had a great weekend, although I think we finally figured out what our normal stress at the beach is.  I am a beach person, I want to be by the sand and water playing and relaxing.  Cara is a cottage person, and is perfectly happy being in the cottage all day.  Anyhow due to the weather Cara won this weekend's eternal battle.

This is not to say that the weather wasn't nice, on Sunday in fact it was beautiful.  Unfortunately though on the long weekend there was a snowstorm and ice was still on the lake (Bill Evans informed me that when they drove up they passed snow plows and at the front beach you could walk out 100 feet on ice that weekend).  This of course led to a cooler breeze coming off the lake.  Saturday we played on the hill, then lounged and napped with the girls.  Once that was done Teresa and I went down to the lake.  She stayed in the iciest water by lake edge up to her calves for a good 10 minutes playing with a boat.  We built (and smashed) sandcastles, and I convinced Teresa she was a dragon, as we put a princess (driftwood) in the castle and the dragon of course smashes the castle in The Paperbag Princess.  We spent a good hour and a half lakeside and then went back to the cottage, with a pitstop at the play area.  Saturday ended off with a walk to Lanky's, with Teresa walking most of the way herself, then I stayed up and marked into the night.

Sunday we got up early and played on the hill before we went to church.  After church we went on the hill again and up on face rock, all the while making Rowdy run & swim for a tennis ball.  By the end of the weekend, Rowdy actually looked back at me when I threw the ball in the water with a scathing glare as though to ask "Really?  You want me to go out there again?" and then got it and went up onto the hill to lie down.  Sunday after the nap the whole family went down to the beach and walked the boardwalk before Teresa, Frances & Cara played while I went in for my dive which was pretty nice considering what I had encountered Saturday.  The sun all day had helped out.  We had our fun then went home, packed up ate dinner, ran on the hill again and chatted with Bill.  It was a great weekend.

To me though the highlight of the weekend was seeing how much fun Teresa was having.  She loves running up and down the hill, loves chasing Rowdy, loves climbing on the rocks in front of the cottage and most importantly I taught her how to roll down the hill, which is cute & hilarious!  I think that the hill will be a primary feature of the beach for the next while...

People who know me well should know I am conservative, and not just in my political leanings...  Change isn't easy for me to accept when it is part of my long standing memories, and there was all sorts of distressing change at the beach over the winter.  First, they will be knocking down the round bathrooms right at the West side of the beach, which isn't bad but will create congestion by the 2nd concession.  Lanky's has picked a new ice cream provider, increased their prices, changed their cones (two scoops sit horizontally, not vertically) and eliminated their baby cone option.  The ice cream still is good, but I am wary.  Lastly they have taken apart the playground by the second concession.  Why did they not consult me about this?  I had talked it up to Teresa all Sunday and BANG I had to come up with a new idea for what we would do on the front beach on the spot.

Sadly we forgot the camera for Frances' first front beach trip, but we will have one next time I assure you, sadly though that must wait until Father's Day due to wedding & ordinations over the next few weekends.  I will though leave you with a picture of Teresa having given Rowdy a 'hat'.  Teresa sometimes literally doesn't know when to leave a sleeping dog lie, but 95% of the time he enjoys the attention.  The embarrassing part of the picture though is that I got the camera and Rowdy got up after holding still for 30 seconds, so I had him sit and I got Teresa to put the hat back on.  I am an evil dog owner.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

but ... but does this mean no Rolo or Smarties ice cream? Lanky's getting that was a *good* change :-(

So, were there icicle-like densely-packed chunks near the rocks making music by colliding in the swells? That happened one spring when an ice pack drifted in.

Pearl said...

If that's all happened in one year, imagine how shocked I'll be this summer with six years worth of change to absorb... Gleep! I may not suvive... :S