Sunday, May 24, 2009

Total Request Live (Mom Edition)

I have always been serious, well, more serious than your average bear. When I was a kid I used to budget my own allowance with no prompting or arguments. I never did anything really silly in my teenage years (except drive the car into the end of the garage). When I look back at pictures of myself as a kid, I see the same look I find myself giving Ken and times, when he is being a bit over the top, or not taking the situation as seriously as I am at the moment. There has never really been a time in my life that I was just silly. I had fun sure, but silly was never in my nature. I remember speaking to a priest when I was 19, it was just after Ken and I got engaged, about one's responsibility to live the life, make the choices God intended for me. My priest shook his head, took my hand in his and said "you are too young to be this serious, go and enjoy your life." While there is some truth to that, I just couldn't, how does one change the essence of their thought process. Well, they have kids.

The thing I love most about being a mom is that I am learning to be silly, in fact, it is a job requirement. In Teresa's mind right now, silliness=fun, and I am more than happy to oblige. Whether we are singing, doing the pigeon dance or being princesses (I usually get to be Cinderella) silliness is the order of the day. It is very freeing to abandon that serious side of myself for chunks of time, and the bonus is I am allowing myself a second childhood by seeing the world though the eyes of my children. I now love doing things for no reason other than "just because". Like this conversation:

T - "Mommy"
Me - "Yes Sweetie"
T - "Mommy, take my picture with my mouth wide open!"

Okay honey:)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

"no, no, _lower_ - I want to see these tonsils people tell me about!"

Jennifer P said...

Silly I can do. Truck noices are impossible. Cursed with the wrong genes I am.