Friday, October 23, 2009

Tonight We Celebrate!

Wednesday I had the pleasure of having a day off in order to attend my third convocation at the U of M.  I am not perfectly sure, but I do think this makes me the first Yost sibling to reach such a feat.  Yes my degrees are BSc, BEd & PBDE (Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Education), no Masters or PhDs to be found, but heck.  For those who are unaware I took a pile of courses pretty much with the sole rationale of receiving a raise.  Yes, that's right, my unionsociety doesn't want good teachers rewarded with better pay, rather simply those who feel like sitting through more painful classes at the University.

What was great was getting to spend the morning with Teresa and Frances.  I decided to make this post the moment Teresa came running to me as I took a moment in the bathroom saying "Daddy, I put Frances on my bed so she can't play with my toys".  I immediately ceased my actions and sprinted to her bedroom where there was Frances, in crawling position a foot from the edge of her bed.  Yes that is right, Teresa now picks up and carries Frances around the house, sometimes helping by taking her away from Rowdy's dish, sometimes just because.

Beyond that some of the craziness in our house has included Teresa being her crazy old self, but now Frances is getting in on the action.  Frances loves chasing Rowdy while crawling (at breakneck speed), but is now beginning to stand up on her own, pulling herself up on the couch.  Today Cara has felt what she believes to be a tooth and Frances has learned how to take one arm out of her shirt.  Lastly Frances continues to eat new and interesting 'food', and I guess I should mention that Teresa is now a skirt girl.  If we try to put pants on her it is met with the weeping and gnashing of teeth...

So tonight Cara and I are off with friends for dinner.  Tonight we celebrate!

Teresa doing two of her favorite things - making sure Rowdy is healthy and having a tea party...


Yes, that apple is as big as her head.

I can't believe Cara didn't post this.  The only way to get 8 month pictures of Frances alone.  Lock Teresa out...  Actually Teresa & I went to 'shave'.  Teresa gave her forehead a clean shave.

My hat has become a new plaything for Teresa.  Doesn't she look smart?

9 comments:

Pearl said...

Third at UofM? Yes.

Third total? Jackie beat you to it (BA, LLB, LLL). Sorry.

And the picture of Teresa locked out for the shoto shoot? Pure gold.

Ken said...

I knew Jackie took an extra year, I just didn't know if that was a convo.

And for the record, there are 10 Yosts now (incl in-laws) and what 11 U of M degrees and 21 total? Crazy. I was going to point that out but was not sure.

Dad: BA, MA, LLB (all U of M)
Mom: BSc (U of M)
Jackie: BA, LLB, LLL (1 U of M)
Tony: BSc (I assume)
Sarah: BSc, PhD (1 U of M). I think she may have officially got a master in there too, but not sure...
Me: BSc, BEd, PBDE (all U of M)
Cara: BA, BEd (all U of M)
Pearl: BSc, Masters
Ed: BEng, MEng (soon)
Tarra: BSc, BA

And let's not include the rest of the uncles, cousin etc... I think we might have the most overeducated family on Earth.

Sarah said...

nope, never put in the paperwork for the masters.

I'd suggest mom's iron-on butterfly "but they're girl pants" solution my no pants phase for Teresa's, but since she already has those pretty embroidered jeans, that's clearly not a compelling case. Maybe the snow will convince her otherwise :-)

Meghan said...

Congratulations for adding to your alphabet soup!!!

Tarra said...

Congrats on sitting through painful classes for a raise.

So actually...Edwin has a B.Eng and will have his M.A.Sc. (Aerospace) soon. I however have 2 B.Sc's.

And we're glad to hear that Teresa has a well-shaved forehead! We wouldn't want her to have to run off with the circus as the hairy lady...

Anonymous said...

Of course the origins of the emphasis on higher education can be traced to the original Ken Yost. He made it seem obvious his children would all get degrees by commenting on men working in sewers or digging ditches because they didn't go to university. On the other hand, these workers can point to something they have accomplished.

Congratulations nevertheless.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

And, although Pearl was kind enough to let the world know, I was not going to point out that I was (as usual) first... Of course not!

;P

J.

Ken said...

I really like dad's story... The guy with grade 8 telling ditch diggers they must have, essentially, more education than he had :)

Anonymous said...

Please post Hallowe'en cuteness