Saturday, January 03, 2009

To suck or not to suck.....that is the question.

This week was THE week, the week we took away the soother. Teresa only used it to fall asleep, but the fact was I really liked it that she fell asleep, and stayed asleep for long periods of time. Teresa is the type of kid that usually rolls with the punches, but her disposition has changed a bit since turning two, and she really likes her soother. I had visions of sleepless scream filled nights with Ken in his earplugs and I in Teresa's room, trying desperately to shut her up. So I put it off. I said it was because Christmas is a crazy time, but the real reason was I already get up a billion times a night to pee, I don't need a screaming child on top of that.

But yesterday we couldn't put it off any longer. We had warned Teresa for a few days that this was coming. We said all the normal stuff, you're a big girl....yadda yadda. She herself threw both her soothers in the garbage, she said goodbye, all without noticeable trauma.

Then.....naptime. She cried, I went in, we cuddled, she felt better. Teresa felt so good she decided to hell with napping and played in her bed for two hours. Okay, well, at least she didn't cry the whole time.

Bedtime hit and she was in bed sleeping at 7:30. Because I was not at home Ken was in charge and said she cried for a little while then fell asleep. Much to my surprise Teresa only woke up three times. Once I went in, gave her a hug and kiss and she went back to sleep. Ken did the same the second time, and the third time.....she fell back asleep all on her own. I'm thinking this is not so bad, all these episodes coincided with my bathroom breaks anyway.

Today Teresa did not ask for her soother. She napped in the afternoon and did not cry when we put her to bed at night. She has not woken up so far, and it looks like things will only get better from here. We just have to give her time to learn how to fall asleep without the aid of Gerber, but she's a smart kid, she'll figure it out. I think that it helps that Ken and I are not too sentimental about crap like this. The fact is Teresa is a big girl. She is potty trained, is close to being out of her night diaper and speaks in full sentences. She does not need a soother to fall asleep, she just likes having one. Well, I like getting pedicures every week, but sometimes it's just a pipe dream. So adios dear soother, it's been a blast.

I actually had to go way back to find a picture of her with the soother, apparently we don't take enough pictures of her sleeping.

See, I'm so old I wear sweater vests!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember any trauma taking your soothers away probably because we were the uncaring, heartless kind of parents. In fact, I do not remember any soother being used and have no photographic record of any of you using one.

Dad

Cara said...

You probably don't have any photographic evidence of your children with soothers because you hardly take any pictures of them. Sad, sad indeed:)