Monday, November 05, 2007

Sentimental Mom on the prowl

Hey folks, Cara here. So I've been thinking a lot about the past year about my many lessons as a first time mom, so I decided to compile some of them for you. Here it goes:

1) Pushing for 2 1/2 hours sucks. And yes, you do remember how much it hurts, I just decided it didn't matter.
2) Seeing Teresa for the first time filled me with a feeling of intense joy and love, a feeling I get to relive every time I look at her.
3) No matter how much our friends used to tease him, Ken is a great Dad!
4) Breast pumps were put on earth by Satan.
5) Torturing your non-parent friends by talking about your kids' poop is fun.
6) Parents talk about poop a lot!
7) Watching Teresa's grandparents (both sets) play with her is incredibly cool.
8) Now that I'm a parent I actually understand how much my parents love me....which makes me feel really bad about those teenage years.
9) Strangers really like to tell you how to dress your child.
10) Fathers pick the strangest clothing combinations.
11) Watching your 10 month old daughter chase after and kiss a 7 month old boy gives you a terrifying glimpse into the future.
12) Babies may be cutest when they're sleeping, but they're at their best when they're awake.
13) Feeding Teresa (breast, formula and solids) has proven to be frustrating indeed.
14) Learning to go with the flow has been the best thing I've done as a parent. Seriously.
15) My friends have been my life line. Thanks to them I'm still clinging to the shores of sanity (barely).
16) Seeing other mothers almost faint when they watch Ken play with Teresa makes me giggle on the inside.
17) Trying to punish your kid when the thing they've done wrong is REALLY funny can be tough.
18) Seeing Teresa learn and try new things make me want to go back to school.
19) Watching Ken with Teresa makes me glad I chose him to be my partner on this crazy ride.
20) Non-parents, appreciate all the free time you have, damn you!


This is me meeting Teresa for the first time


Teresa at 1 month



Teresa chillin' at her baby shower


Teresa destroying Ottawa, one catalogue at a time!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

what? no photo of Ken's Weirdest Baby Fashion (AKA: What Not To Wear, special toddler edition)?

Sarah

Cara said...

There is no photographic evidence. Sorry Yosts, but some things in life should remain a mystery.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to your first year as a parent. We will accept your remorse for the teenage years. THANKS! The teen years are why parents are encouraged to "love your children unconditionally". It makes you rethink the thoughts of taking certain actions at times (illegal I might add).
Luv (unconditionally),
Mom

InsertMonikerHere said...

About feeding the tyke ... isn't it a bit odd that babies - who are completely dependent for food and have no reserves to survive long without it - will swallow wrong, not suck well, spit things out, etc? Something is wrong with the system :-)

Anonymous said...

Really liked the List of 1st year discoveries, Cara. You have learned some very wise things, that will help you cope with the "plural" stage of child when that time comes. If you thought your learned "Go with the flow" with your first child, Great - that's something you will really need. Enjoy - Laugh - Be Happy!
Luv,
Auntie Paula

Anonymous said...

I am confused. How can you know anything about punishing your child when what she did is funny? She is too young to be punished! Admonished perhaps.

What is all this stuff about the teenage years? None of mine were a particular trial. In fact, they were generally hilarious. Must be a Friesen thing!

Dad (Yost) (in case that's not obvious).

InsertMonikerHere said...

That's because we all bottled it up and went to shrinks LATER... ;-)