Friday, July 10, 2009

Seeing it again

One of the beautiful things about raising children is that everything to them is new, every outing is fun, there is always something to be excited about. As a parent, you truly can see it again, for the first time. At least, that's how going to the zoo felt for me. I had been to our zoo many times before, and as I grew older, the zoo seemed to become tired, worn down, the joy and excitement it once incurred seemed to disappear. Seeing it with Teresa and Frances, however, has brought it back to life. As I saw those once worn habitats, the seemingly tired animals through the eyes of my daughters, the magic of the zoo returned. This time, with them, it was a completely different experience. The animals were exotic, exciting, each habitat became a window into a world we may not personally experience. And there was joy, so much joy. Teresa's joy and excitement at each new cage renewed my theory that over the years I had begun to see things in the wrong light. While I was having fun on the dates and trips Ken and I took, I was never really experiencing them. Now, because of my daughters I have another chance to truly experience life, to see more joy than sorrow, to allow myself to be consumed by the excitement and beauty of life that we often let slip though our fingers.

Action shot of Teresa "sharing" Teddy with Frances

Black bears, the white one still has his winter coat

Check me out....I'm at the zoo Yo!

Frances checking out her first wallaby

The girls and I in an Australian Aviary  

Ken and Teresa by the monkey house. This particular monkey, obviously pandering to his audience, pooped in front of a large group of children, much to their delight.

Prairie dogs in love

Peacocks wander the zoo, we actually saw so many of them I started to call them the rats of the zoo. We managed to catch this one in full braggart mode.

llama llama, with nary a red pajama

Teresa, checking out some nice camel tush. We also saw a dromedary.

My girls, in their matching Canada Day Tees.

The Yosts are OBSESSED with pelicans. I put this one in simply because I do not want to be shunned. 

Goodness, ducklings are cute!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But you haven't had the full zoo experience until a tropical bird has deposited poo on your head (not that I am still traumatized nearly a year later or anything...)

:) J

Edwin said...

So the gangsta caption for Frances is the BEST. CAPTION. EVER!

The pelican was a wise choice to include... ;-)

Oh, and Tarra saw the ducklings and squeaked out something high-pitched, fast paced, and may have included the word "duckies".

Ed