Thursday, March 12, 2009

In Which Cara Starts to Moo.

This week has been a week of adjustment for the Yost clan, and the only member who seems perfectly content with this is Frances. Although, I wouldn't call what she does "adjusting" but more growing into her role as "tyrannical overlord of the household." This I was expecting, because, well, that's what babies do. Teresa has been okay. We've had a few more tears and tantrums, and the occurrence of whining has increased, but not to such a degree that I can attribute it solely to Frances and not just being two. Perhaps she is mourning the loss of her tyrannical overlord title. Either way, if the horror stories I have been told are any indication, Teresa has been exceptionally good, and Ken and I are very proud of her.

I have had a harder time with this. My main issue is guilt. I feel bad for both Frances and Teresa, as I cannot truly devote 100% of my attention to either of them. I have made compromises....reading to Teresa while I feed Frances, playing with play dough or colouring or painting while I rock Frances. Heck, I've even learned to breast feed at the table while eating dinner with the family. And while this seems to be working, I still feel guilty about not giving our newest member all the attention she deserves.

I have also come to the realization that I strongly dislike breast feeding. Things are going well, Frances is a super dooper feeder, I'm just not that into it. I'll keep nursing for two reasons: a) it's the best thing for Frances and b) I'm cheap. Why buy the milk when you have a built in production facility. Maybe this whole nursing thing will grow on me, but right now I find it very limiting, and the fact that all my outings have to be carefully timed irritates me. On the plus side, I've discovered our neighbors are more active than I ever would have suspected at 3am (don't be gross people...that's not what I mean).

But, on the whole we have more good days than bad, Frances is thriving and getting quite the double chin, Teresa has embraced Frances into the family by not trying to kill her and Ken and I love both our girls with all our heart. I'd say, on the whole we are doing just fine.

This is what we spend most of our day doing.

WARNING! This is what can happen when you allow toddlers to dress themselves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teresa Yost is an up-and-coming Canadian fashion stylist based out of Winnipeg. Her signature is the bold pairings of disparate patterns and colours, creating an intense, quirky look that flatters its wearers and challenges the world to reconsider its views on the perils of over-matching. Yes, with a talent like this, Yost is a new force to be reckoned with. Watch out, Rachel Zoe - here comes Teresa Yost!

Anonymous said...

Tony enjoys the Crocs... I am laughing at Pearl as I was rather thinking that T inherited her fashion sense from her grandpa Yost...

J.

Anonymous said...

J must have meant she inherited her fashion sense from her great grandfather. Her grandfather's taste is legendary!

Three of our children made it on formula but it does leave the horrifying possibility that the father will have to do the middle of the night feeding.

Dad