Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Back in Winnipeg

Well, we're ready for number three any day (or week) now as the baby is living life like a bat in an abandoned mine shaft (upside-down & low).  Cara has been having the Braxton-Hicks contractions, and with the weather as beautiful as it is, which of course is too hot is you are 8.9 months pregnant, we want this baby out!  As such, we are away from the lake, without a return date as I would rather not be racing home with a wife in labour.  Wish her luck...

That said, I have a few more pictures to post from the summer.

So I took the girls for a school shopping expedition to Grand Forks.  I think for them the highlights would be lunch and their slushies at Paradiso (pictured above), dinner (pictured below) and being allowed to run feral through Target.  By that point the girls were full of energy and needed to burn it off. If I ever do this again a play in a park will be planned.

Hey look Sarah, Culver's!  That said, presently they are eating their ketchup bowls with their spoons.  The Mennonite is strong in these children...

Frances is having fun building...

Teresa built this "Sock making machine".  Sadly it broke before it made me socks :-(

Frances wearing the best $10 (US) I have ever spent.

The girls playing in the front yard...  Moments earlier there was an arm wrapped around each other.  Sweet.

So now that we are stuck in the city, we went to the zoo.  They have a butterfly garden now.  Frances is trying to stare a hole through this guy's wings...

They also have a "Birds of Prey" show put on by the Raptor Conservancy of Canada (or something like that).  Here is a great view on an owl.

More awesome owl action.

I believe this was the falcon.

An immature (3 year old) Bald Eagle.  Apparently a week earlier a local bald eagle came to play during the show...  That would have been quite neat to have seen.

That's a stinking big bird.

The zoo is in the midst of a giant renovation, including an awesome looking polar bear exhibit that will have you be able to see them swim from underneath. The newest completed exhibits are the butterflies and these guys, the Stellar's Sea Eagle.  It is huge.

At the lake, getting ready to watch a sunset.  I think I got this because I asked her to smile.  Maybe...  God I hope that she doesn't channel this into her teenage years.

Art time.  A t-shirt I found at Target in Grand Forks that seemed more suited to Frances, but they only had it in Teresa's size (and it was the last of the shirts) so I got it.  Teresa decided to copy the picture, which is something she has started to do.  I love her portraits of Rowdy.

The artist & her art.

A much better view of her art.

And last, but not least here is Teresa and Frances showing their "I-should-be-in-bed-but-daddy-talked-mommy-into-keeping-us-up-too-late-so-we-can-see-the-sunset-ultra-manicness"  There is some fine song & dance here.  Teresa I think is an artistic one, and not an athletic one, although we shall see.


5 comments:

Edwin said...

OOOOH! Pictures! Video!!! Yay!

Awesome Kermit hat, and the dancing and singing was very cute.

Good luck all on the new arrival! We're waaaaaaaaaaiting... :-)

Sarah said...

(1)So did they try the custard?

(2)At least if T gets attitude when asked to smile, you're safe from her ever appearing on Top Model :)

Ken said...

(1) Of course. They loved it, as did I. I have never had their custard (vanilla in this case) plain before. I have only had the concrete mixers once or twice. They actually had the spoons because they were processing lemon ice, and I showed it to the girls (having again never seen the machines working before) and received free samples of that (also quite good, but in a refreshing way, not a desserty way).

(2) Cara claims they don't get asked to smile on the show. Darn.

Sarah said...

(2) but they're asked to "smile with your eyes!" so I'm pretty sure her attitude wouldn't be the *right* one for their fancy photo shoots :)

Pearl said...

I'm highly disappointed that we didn't get to hear Ken's rendition of the Raspberry Song...