Sunday, August 17, 2008

We're back...

Well, Teresa is with the Friesen grandparents in Kenora right now and we are back in the city. Over the next two weeks, I have a class for four hours a day, football starts, and Jackie & Tony are in town for a week...

Ah fun times.  It feels like summer break never happened and it hasn't ended yet!  I guess I shouldn't complain.  A few quick notes and a couple of pics to satiate the masses, before Cara makes a longer post in the near future (I should also note that the laptop HD crashed so we still have our pics, but not mom & dad's)

Cards
First, I have to admit that I got lost overall at cribbage, but here is why I bring it up...  I was down probably 8 games heading into the last day when I cut a king, and dad ever confident cut a king (a 1 in 221 shot of occurring, or .45% for the math illiterate), and I won the first crib on the second cut.

Teresa got up after the first hand and we had to put the game aside, and we picked it up later.  I got every cut possible (including a 24 to go over), and I beat dad 121- 62.  Interestingly he pointed out afterwards that he had cheated me...  Not the normal methods, rather blatantly violating the spirit of his granddaughter breaking the game up, while I was not there moving my pegs 2 back and his 2 forward.  So really I beat him 121-60...  I have now double skunked dad.  Let the lying cheat try to weasel his way out of this one, but I doubt you will hear his voice claiming much more than "But the pegs said..."  I then skunked him again to end off the season, closing the series to almost tied.  I think Ed & I need a support group against cheating fathers...

Birds
The only reason I bring this up is because I (and I am the only one to have seen the whole bird) saw a BALD freakin' EAGLE land in the birch tree lakeside.  He landed on a dead branch, I realized what it was, called everyone but the branch broke off and the eagle flew away.  Dad saw the tail feathers.  The eagle flew up to the point...  I am 95% sure (I still need to look up pictures) that I saw a young bald eagle fly by 20 minutes later, as it was huge and had the mottled feathers the Birds of Canada book suggests!
edit I now 99.32% sure, as I found an image online of what I saw

Now for a few pics.

Mixing pancakes with grandpa

The bubble ninja

Gotta wear shades on the beach to keep the paparazzi at bay

No comments: