Saturday, May 24, 2008

Fishin' in Flin Flon...

Spent the May Long in Flin Flon fishing with two coworkers and a coworker's husband who is an electrician in the division. Fun was had by all, and the 8 hour drive north & west didn't seem so bad, as Robin (who hails from FF) did all the driving. Initially we planned to stay at the family's cottage on Big Island, but due to Global Warming there was still ice on the lake so we stayed at his parent's place. Here are a few pics.

For those that don't know, Flin Flon is a town on the Sask - MB border which is there solely due to the billions of dollars of Zinc and Copper that are in the ground. Hudson Bay Mining & Smelting is the primary employer and has both mining & smelting in town. Here's a map of the region
View Larger Map
Robin's cottage is on the island in the lake on Highway 10 just out of town, we went fishing in two lakes about 30 km out of town. They are the two connected by a small creek a bit up the road from Cranberry Portage if you care to look for them.



Fishing with Robin on Saturday. It was +10 and quite windy to start the day, but it improved through the day.



The ice having just come off the lakes no one knew where to go to find fish,so we had bad luck on Saturday on Lake Neso (apparently it is just a number in Ojibway, as they have a number of lakes named lake 1, lake 2, etc...) I was the only person on day 1 though to not get a catch, nor a nibble. Now 'Yosted' also means shut out fishing. That was my best catch of the day. After that we went to a creek that connected the two lakes we ended up fishing on called Mistik Creek, where we were able to catch fish by literally putting nets in the water. Thousands of Suckers were going up the creek to spawn, and one of the guys caught 15 fish in a single swipe of the net...



Day 2, we were out on Payuk Lake, and it began with similar frustrations. Later the pike started nibbling, and I fought a couple but the line kept snapping, and I hit a breaking point and switched up rods I got so peeved with my line. We went to the bay entering Mistik creek and for half an hour you couldn't cast without getting a bite. I ended up getting 4, but we forgot our nets and I had a big one that was right up to the boat and as we tried to lift it in, the line snapped! Anyhow here is a picture with my mini-pike.



I wish this was my big one, but McLeod reeled in this 38" beast... It takes 3 more inches to be a Master Angler though.



It is May Long... Who cares if I can see ice on the shore in this picture? I have to swim... Oh yeah, I forgot my swimsuit, that is one of my nicer pairs of boxers :)




Proof that I actually swam & did not just stand on a dock in my boxers... It was cold, but I did not lose my breath going in & I swam back to the dock no problem. I dried off & all was well.



Everyone save Robin in front of 'Flinty'. His left hand from this angle unfortunately looks like his twig & berries... Quite funny actually!

No comments: