Sunday, June 22, 2008

We discovered another food on a stick!

Due to the fact I was away Father's Day weekend, I promised Ken a family outing of his choice. He chose to take Teresa to her first Ex experience. We did not go on any rides, but Teresa did get to see pig races, a horse that went to college (it's better not to ask), various farm animals and hundreds of butterflies. I would also be remiss if I did not mention the Superdogs, who Ken and I saw for the first time on our honeymoon and Ken has become a scary stalker of theirs. So now, for your enjoyment, the Ex, in a series of photographs.


An artistic shot of Teresa and I at the petting zoo


Everyone all together "Awwww, baby sheep."


Teresa petting her first goat


Teresa and her second goat experience, it still took a lot of coaxing to get her to actually touch them.


All together again, "Awwww, baby chicks."


Teresa was surprisingly gentle when petting her first chick, thank God.


For the last time "Awwwww, baby pigs." Teresa enjoyed the pigs the most. After seeing them, she ran around saying "Pigs! Yay! Oink oink!"


Ken in heaven with two foods on a stick, pizza and a corndog.


We are now in the butterfly experience series of pictures. This was a huge netted area with literally hundreds of butterflies flying freely, and landings willy nilly are their heart desired, such as on our information sheet.


Or....as evidence of their poor decision making, on Ken's tushie.


You can see the great number of them in the background.


Say hello to my little friend, flappy.


Even Teresa made a new friend, and didn't freak out, much to Ken and I's relief.


I realize by now you have seen enough pictures of butterflies, but I like this one and it's my blog, so neener neener.


And this is the photo that ended the day, Teresa eating her first mini doughnut.

So all and all, it was a great evening. Teresa had some great experiences and a lot of fun. Ken and I have decided that this will not be a yearly event, as it cost almost as much as Valley Fair without any rides. Ken gives this belated father's day two thumbs up. (I actually don't know that to be true, but hey, I'm the author of this post, and I say he had a great time!)

8 comments:

InsertMonikerHere said...

(1) Does Teresa say "pat, pat" when she pets the goats?

(2) I'd credit Boynton for the Yaay, pigs!, but I suppose it could be Olivia, too

(3) OMG, Cara, you look so tiny!

Edwin said...

Tarra and I second the "you look great!"

And why does the butterfly tent remind me of fishfly season at the beach?

Last of all, I'm intrigued and terrified by the concept of pizza on a stick. Is it a pizza pocket like foodstuff, or is it almost entirely bereft of sauce and toppings?

That being said, as a guy, I would SO try one. I've tried much weirder things than that, like peanut butter and bacon sandwiches (which are surprisingly tasty!).

Anonymous said...

Since we all know that it's not a true day at the Ex unless you have mini donuts and at least one food on a stick, I'd like to congratulate you all on a mission fully accomplished! Now, if they could just figure out how to do mini donuts on a stick... Heaven.

InsertMonikerHere said...

The local paper announced some of the new foods on a stick at the MN State Fair, which I will go to in August with Allison. They will have frozen pickles on a stick, maple-candied bacon on a stick, and chocolate-coated bacon on a stick.

I soooo have to try the chocolate-dipped bacon. I've had a PB, honey & bacon sandwich, so the maple-glazed bacon doesn't cut it on the weirdness quotient.

Pearl, I can't believe they haven't already put mini doughnuts on a stick! Shoddy, careless workmanship, just shovin' 'em in a bag, I say.

Cara said...

The pizza on a stick is akin to a large home made pizza pop on a paint stir stick. There is cheese, sauce and toppings inside.

My dad beats all of you in the strange sandwich department, I have witnessed him put a chocolate chip cookie in a bologna sandwich:) On purpose!

Ken said...

For the record, the pizza on a stick was good, but it was disappointing.... Can you believe that they actually baked the stick? I thought the whole point of a {blank} on a stick was so it could be chucked in a deep frier!

InsertMonikerHere said...

mmmm .... deep-fried pizza on a stick ... I wonder if we'll find that at the State Fair?

I think I will be spending all of September on a low-fat diet :-)

Anonymous said...

Clearly Sarah and I will be eating from one end of the fair to the other. I promise not to make it a 15 hour day, unless of course you want to Sarah. Ken maybe we will eat pork chop on a stick and think of you. Ken and Cara, you really need to bring your daughter down to the MN State Fair so that she can learn what fair food is all about!

Alison